Torre dei Caduti
Over the decades, the Torre dei Caduti has become the most recognizable symbol of the part of the city designed by Marcello Piacentini.
In the late 19th century, the transfer of the administrative and commercial centre from Upper to Lower Bergamo formalized the transformation of the entire area where the tower stands.
In 1907, Marcello Piacentini and Giuseppe Quaroni‘s design was selected as the winner of the competition for the redevelopment of the area, as it met the requirements of functionality and modernization and respected the vision of the upper city.
The construction of the area was interrupted at the outbreak of WWI and only resumed at the end, with an important modification: the function of the tower had changed. From a decorative building, it became a monument to memorialize Bergamo’s fallen soldiers of the First World War, acquiring a public role