Where Bergamo citizens’ heart is
On Sant’Eufemia hill, not far from the funicular to Upper Bergamo, is the Rocca, a 14th-century fortress which has long been beloved by locals. Those who take the short walk to reach it are rewarded by a view of the robust walls and the mighty Venetian tower, a wonderful vantage point from which to admire Bergamo from above, spanning from the wonders of the Upper Bergamo, to the Bergamasque Alps and the entire Bergamo plain, all the way to Milan.
Garibaldi and the Thousand
The Rocca, a 14th-century fortification, stands on one of the oldest inhabited areas of Bergamo, known as Sant’Eufemia hill. Its imposing keep is surrounded by one of the city’s most beautiful green spaces, Parco delle Rimembranze.
The first fortified centre on the hill of Sant’Eufemia goes back to the Celts (4th cen. BCE). However, construction on the building we see today began in 1331 by John of Luxembourg and was completed in 1336 under Azzone Visconti.
The start of the rule of the Republic of Venice in 1428 led to substantial changes to the fortress: the circular tower and the Scuola dei Bombardieri (now the Museo dell’Ottocento) were built.
The Rocca was no less important in the 19th and 20th centuries, as the Austrians and the Kingdom of Italy used it as a military garrison and prison.
The history of the Rocca
The history of the Rocca in eight short segments so that you can learn about this Medieval fortress, from its founding to its transformation over the centuries and its central role in the Risorgimento.
One of the earliest inhabited hills of Bergamo lies in the heart of the old city
Church of Sant’Eufemia
One of the first Christian churches in the city stands on the ruins of a pagan temple
The construction of the Rocca as the symbol of new noble power
The circular tower
The start of Venetian rule brought about a few important changes for the Rocca
Scuola dei Bombardieri
Training and exercise grounds for Venetian artillerymen
Headquarters of the Austrian troops
Following Napoleon’s defeat, the Austrians took control of the Rocca
Use as a prison
The Rocca became the property of the Italian state and was turned into a prison
Museo del Risorgimento
The museum display about the Italian Risorgimento was moved to the Rocca, reopened in 1917
Piazzale Brigata Legnano, 24129 Bergamo BG
Tuesday – Sunday : 11-19
Closed on Christmas and New Year’s Eve
The building has architectural barriers.
Small dogs are allowed but must be kept in a pet carrier. Guide dogs are permitted at all times.
The ticket includes entrance to Rocca + Museo dell’Ottocento
Amici del Museo delle storie di Bergamo, University students up to 26 years old, Groups of 15 people, discounts
Under 18, disabled people, ICOM members, accredited journalists, qualified tour guides,
Abbonamento Musei Lombardia