Palazzo del Podestà
Standing next to the Palazzo della Ragione, the seat of civic power, and the Vescovado, the seat of religious power, the Palazzo del Podestà borders two squares at the heart of Medieval Bergamo, Piazza Duomo, and of Venetian Bergamo, Piazza Vecchia.
Built in the late 12th century by the powerful Suardi-Colleoni family, which gave it to the city, the building later became the residence of the Podestà, the external chief magistrate who governed the municipality in six-month terms. If necessary, he was also able to use the prisons located below the Torre Civica (or Campanone).
Under the long rule of the Republic of Venice (which began in 1428), the palace became the centre of the city’s justice system thanks to new constructions and structural adaptations.