Founded in 1917, during WWI, the museum dedicated to the Risorgimento forms the initial core around which the Museo delle Storie was built. In 2014, when the exhibition was redesigned, the museum was named in memory of Mauro Gelfi.
In 1933, the Museo del Risorgimento, inaugurated in 1917 in the University of Science, Humanities and Art, was moved to the keep of the Rocca.
The subsequent change in its display in 1959 didn’t deviate from its founding themes and topic, with the previous patriotic-celebratory line focusing on the local sphere, in which the Resistance nonetheless emerges, interpreted as a further struggle for the independence of the homeland.
In 1997, after being closed for 20 years, it reopened as the ‘Historical Museum of the City of Bergamo’ at the Convent of San Francesco. That provisional exhibition was updated on 7 May 2004, when it was moved to the newly restored Rocca fortress, including a name change that reflected the attention paid to the greater Bergamo area: Museo Storico di Bergamo (Bergamo Historical Museum).